The Holy Spirit Moves

John 10:27-28   My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.


Sunday I heard the Holy Spirit speak to me.  Actually, it was more of a scream.  It was a specific command, one that should have been easy to follow.  I wasn't asked to do anything life changing, but rather a simple task that could have been completed in less than 5 minutes.

But I didn't do it.  I didn't listen.  I, in fact, made a conscious decision to say "no."  Let me be the first to tell you that it was a very bad idea.  Not because of some great punishment that will come my way, but rather because of the guilt I have carried in my heart since then.  I tossed and turned all night and then cried until I was empty this morning.

I am thankful for my friend Kendra, who God chose to minister to me this morning, and my precious mother who did the same.  When I finally pulled myself together I repented, asked for forgiveness and proceeded to rectify the situation.  I am so thankful for a loving, forgiving God who accepts my inadequacies and chooses to love me despite them.

Tonight I have learned my lesson.  When God speaks, I'm going to try my best to listen from now on.  That is why I am writing today about a ministry called Compassion International.  It is a wonderful organization that is committed to bettering the lives of children throughout the world who are living in poverty.  In their own words, "In response to the Great Commission, Compassion International exists as an advocate for children, to release them from their spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enable them to become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults."  

There are many ways that you can get involved with Compassion and one of them is through their Christmas catalog.  Last year the girls and I sat down and we chose 4 items that we would purchase in honor of their grandparents and great grandparents.  I loved that Ella chose baby care items and Lucy chose a goat.  I chose vaccines and school items.  Those items were given to children and families in need to help sustain their lives.  It was so rewarding seeing them choose the gifts, but even more rewarding to help them understand why it was so important.

I may fail at many things in my life, but one thing that I want to do well is to teach my children what it really means to be the hands and feet of Christ.  I want them to have a heart for missions and the knowledge of how to implement it.  I want them to know what it feels like to share the love of God with people in need.

I look forward to shopping with my girls this year again in the Compassion catalog.  It came in the mail last week and that is when I felt this nudge to do something more this year.  My desire is for our family to sponsor a child for the calendar year.  It costs $38 a month.  Only $38.  That's like 2 trips to McDonalds!  A tiny sacrifice on our part can provide a better life for one child in extreme need.

Please join me this year and support the work of Compassion.  Imagine the difference we all can make together.



post signature