For those of you living outside of the United States, you have probably found it somewhat aggravating not being able to download the Amazon Free Apps of the Day that I'm constantly posting on my Facebook page. This post will provide you the information necessary to fool the Amazon Appstore, so that you to can grab those apps, as well as, any other free apps offered on the site. In order to utilize the Appstore, we are required to have a user account that has a registered US billing address and credit card number. Second, we need to be in the United States, in order to get the free apps. Seems kind of impossible, but once you've followed the few steps to create an account , you'll be able to easily download the Free App of the Day whenever it fits your child's interests.
If you have a valid US credit card, then proceed in setting up a real Amazon.com account and skip down to Step 22. The rest of you will need to proceed with the following steps.
NOTE: Amazon has recently setup App Shops in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. If you live in one of these countries, then you'll want to skip over to Step 5 of the the Installing & Configuring the Amazon Appstore post.
SETUP AN AMAZON ACCOUNT
1. On your computer, launch your preferred web-browser.
2. Navigate to www.fakenamegenerator.com.
3. Play with the Basic Settings, choosing your desired sex and nationality. Ensure that the Country option remains set to the United States. You can click the Advanced Options, if you'd like to control the Age Setting.
4. Click the Generate button, until you come across a name that you like. This is just randomly generated information and nothing corresponds to a real person. This information is generally used for testing computer applications, databases, etc.
5. Once you've found a name that you like, I'd highly recommend copying the information into a text document, so that you can refer to it in the future if need be.
6. Launch www.Amazon.com in a new tab in your web-browser.
7. Click on the Sign-In link.
8. Copy and Paste the e-mail address from Fake Name Generator into the appropriate field.
9. Check the No, I'm a new customer option.
10. Click the Sign in using our secure server button.
11. Fill out the required information using what was provided by Fake Name Generator.
12. Create a password at least 6 characters long that you will remember. I'd recommend appending this the the text document you created in Step 5 and saving it in a secure location on your computer.
13. Click the Create account button.
14. Click on the Your Account pull down and select Your Account.
15. Choose the Add a Credit or Debit Card link, under Payment Methods.
16. Complete the required fields using the information from the Fake Name Generator site. NOTE: If Amazon does not accept the address that you provide, you can fine tune it by using Google Maps, locating the town or zip code and choosing an address. As nothing can be billed or shipped using this account, it doesn't manner what it is, as long as it exists.
17. Click the Use this address button.
18. Click the Your Account link to return to the Account Options page.
19. Scroll down to the Account Settings heading and choose the 1-Click Settings link.
20. Enter your password again in order to proceed to the next page.
21. Click on the Turn 1-Click On button, to complete the account setup.
Amazon checks your IP address when you launch and login to their Amazon Appstore. For those of us not living in the United States this has meant an inability to purchase apps for our Android devices. So we need a way to get around this IP address check. This can be done using Proxies, VPN or DNS services which makes your device appear to be located in the US, allowing you to view and download US content. The best services generally come with a monthly or annual fee. This might be of interest to you if you'd like to view all of the video content that the nabi 2 Tablet links to, but if you're just looking for some free apps, it is a bit of overkill. Unblock Us is a VPN that I have been referred to as a good option, though be sure to take them up on their 7 Day trial before subscribing to ensure they can provide you with the service you are looking for.
22. Ensure that you have installed and configured the Amazon Appstore app, following the instructions outlined in my previous blog post, before proceeding.
23. In Mommy/Daddy Mode, launch the Browser app.
24. Navigate to www.browsertunnel.com, a free web proxy.
NOTE: Though I haven't seen any inappropriate advertising while using this site, I can't say for sure that you might not come across something that may offend you. A good site should tailor its ads to your viewing preferences though, so hopefully offending ads are few and far between.
25. Click the Favorite star to bookmark this site, for future use.
26. Type amazon.com into the address field and hit the Go button.
27. Dismiss any image processing messages that may pop up by clicking on the OK button.
28. Click on the Shop by Department drop down menu.
NOTE: When you do this Browser Tunnel will launch another tab with advertising, which can be ignored or closed.
29. Click on the Apps link located under the Appstore for Android heading.
30. If you are looking to pick-up the Free App of the Day, click on the Sign on to get this app button, if not then you can search for the app you are looking for and click on it.31. Sign in using your Amazon.com account information.
32. Click the Sign in using our secure server button.
33. If prompted, choose the Remember option for your password.
34. Click the Get app button.
35. The app has now been added to your account.
36. Exit out of the Browser app.
37. Launch the Amazon Appstore.
38. Click the Menu soft key.
39. Choose the My Apps option.
40. Choose the Cloud option.
41. Click on the Refresh button.
42. Click on the Download button.
43. Click on the Install button.
44. Click on the Done button.
45. Back out of the Amazon Appstore by hitting the Back soft key.
46. Launch Add Apps.
47. Check the box beside the app you just installed in order to make it available in nabi Mode.
48. Back out of Add Apps by hitting the Back soft key.
49. Launch nabi Mode.
50. Click the All Apps icon in the top right corner.
51. Locate the newly added app and press down on it, in order to copy a link to it on one of the Home pages of your choice.
Remember to do your due diligence when choosing apps for your child to use. Read the reviews, check the permissions and if you decide to install the app, be sure to play it in nabi Mode, to ensure that it works properly and is appropriate for your child.
STEPS NEEDED THE NEXT TIME
1. In Mommy/Daddy Mode, launch the Browser app.
2. Navigate to www.browsertunnel.com, by accessing your Favorites.
TIP: Try typing Amazon into your Browser address bar, once you've gone through the process a few times. This should list a few Amazon links in the drop down list, while you are typing. This will allow you to gain quicker access. The Sign-In one is the best one to click on if it pops up.
3. Type amazon.com into the Address field and hit the Go button.
4. Click on the Shop by Department drop down menu.
5. Click on the Apps link located under the Appstore for Android heading.
6. Click on the Sign on to get this app button, to get the Free App of the Day.
7. Click the Sign in using our secure server button, if you saved your sign-in credentials, otherwise type them in again.
8. Click the Get app button.
9. Exit out of the Browser app.
10. Launch the Amazon Appstore.
11. Click the Menu soft key.
12. Choose the My Apps option.
13. Choose on the Cloud option.
14. Click on the Refresh button.
15. Click on the Download button.
16. Click on the Install button.
17. Click on the Done button.
18. Back out of the Amazon Appstore by hitting the Back soft key.
19. Launch Add Apps.
20. Check the box beside the app you just installed in order to make it available in nabi Mode.
21. Back out of Add Apps by hitting the Back soft key.
22. Launch nabi Mode.
23. Click the All Apps icon in the top right corner.
24. Locate the newly added app and press down on it, in order to copy a link to it on one of the Home pages of your choice.