A Lesson Learned Today

Procrastinate: : to put off intentionally and habitually

Proverbs 15:19

The way of the sluggard is blocked with thorns,
but the path of the upright is a highway.




One might think I would have learned by now not to do it.  Procrastinate, that is.  With our life in a constant state of unknown, it makes sense that I would never put off for tomorrow what could be done today.  For example, Lucy's Halloween costume.  She wanted to be an octopus last year and I convinced her to be the Cat in the Hat.  I reasoned with her that since she couldn't walk on the 2 feet God gave her she probably didn't need to try to walk with 8!  But that memory I have worried about this year didn't fail her this time.  She promptly reminded me that I told her she could be an octopus this year as soon as the topic was discussed. 


(I'll be posting lots of pics of Lucy in her costume tomorrow)

After an exhausting search for octopus costumes, the cheapest I could come up with was $89.  Since that was clearly ridiculous, I set out to make one of my own.  It was so much fun being back in front of the sewing machine.  Admittedly, I was very unconvinced about the outcome while I was working.  With the project finished--thanks to the help of my mom--I am very pleased with the final project.  The point I'm trying to make though is that I waited and waited to start on it until the Saturday before Halloween.  My plan was to finish it Sunday after church, but...well, we all know what happened next.  A huge thank you to Nanny for jumping in to put the finishing touches on the 8 legs.  

Erik sent me these pictures tonight.



It broke my heart that because of my mad procrastination skills Lucy didn't get to carve a pumpkin this year.  We had talked about it all last week and even planned on doing it Friday night and then Saturday afternoon.  Seriously!  What's wrong with me?  Ugh!  Now I'll spend the next week trying to recreated all the fun Halloween events that Lucy missed out on.  

Tomorrow she will spend another Halloween in the hospital.  Last year we spent the day at St. Jude (outpatient at least) but this year she will be stuck in her room in isolation.  The nurses will come around and deliver candy and treats, but it's just not the same.  I'm going to let her dress up and hopefully we can try to make the most of a bad situation.  Lucy's blood and stool cultures came back today and they weren't wonderful.  Not bad, just not great.  She has c-diff (again!) and it has somehow crossed over into her blood stream.  In the words of the resident this morning "this is very uncommon."  I had to hold back a full belly laugh as I explained to her that "uncommon" was what Lucy did best.  

Lucy is being treated with the big gun, Vancomycin, and will stay here for a few days until her tummy heals.  She has to be able to eat and drink again before they will send us home.  Unfortunately, children with weakened immune systems can be greatly harmed by c-diff (think last December before Lucy had to get a feeding tube) and it is very contagious.  So....isolation it is for us.  Like I've said before, this isn't cancer.  We can handle this.  Even still, I can't help but to ask. 








post signature