A Better Day and Another Field Trip

Sorry for the pity party yesterday.  After I cried myself to sleep with a near migraine, I woke up feeling a little refreshed this morning.  All day long I have appreciated reading the encouraging comments that you guys left.  Thank you for your compassion.  God has laid it on my heart to change my prayer for this situation.  I'm going to stop praying for Lucy to be "normal" again.  What's normal anyway?  I just want her to be happy.  My prayer now is that God would send her 1, just 1, girl friend who will be true and dear that she will have a meaningful friendship with.  If God blesses her with 2 or 3 or 50 then great!  But 1 would do. We all need a friend to count on, right?

I want to add here that several little girls in Lucy's class have been very sweet to her.  I pray that some friendships will really take off in her class.  She has been treated with kindness and grace by everyone in her class.  I am so proud of the 13 children who take care of her at school.



She does have this one friend who will never, ever forsake her.  I know I am biased because he's my best friend's son but there is something very special about this little boy.  I cried on the phone today with Amanda (his mother) as I told her how grateful I was that he was in our lives.  Hyatt, Lucy's very best friend, is an amazing little boy with the heart of  ten giants.  He loves Lucy and protects her.  He worries about her, but also pushes her to be independent.  There is something about their relationship that I will never be able to explain, maybe because I will never understand it.  I don't guess I really have to, though. Seriously...I LOVE this kid!


This is Hyatt holding the door open for her as she went into lunch.  This was right after he helped her get out of the van and then proceeded to place his hand in the small of her back to make sure she felt stable while she was walking.  A perfect gentleman!


Today I was able to take Lucy on her first official Kindergarten field trip.  We visited the Fire Museum of Memphis and we had a great time.  Being at the museum brought back many bad memories.  I took the girls to a birthday party at the Fire Museum the Saturday before Lucy was diagnosed with cancer.  That day was the day that I first became truly concerned about her vomiting.  Ugh.  I get sick to my stomach even thinking about it.


But today was different.  Today was good.  After the tour was finished I took Lucy and Hyatt to grab some honey chicken from Pei Wei, our favorite lunch spot.  After it was over we decided to grab a couple of yummy Gigi's cupcakes.  Hyatt really wanted to get one to take to his mommy and surprise her at school.  After that I stopped at LeBonheur and donated the remaining boxes of Lucy's extra feeding tube supplies and formulas (praise God we don't need them) and medical supplies from her central line (yes!!!)  Hyatt opted out of a cupcake saying "I'm just not really into cupcakes" so I took him by the frozen yogurt place on the way home.  I'm a pushover I know, but I'd do anything for that little boy.

I'm not sure how kids even eat these concoctions that they make.  This is seriously the most disgusting thing I've ever seen:



Both girls had art lessons this afternoon and now we are starting to wind down for bed.  Sheesh!  I wanted to share this video tonight.  It probably doesn't mean a lot to you, but after the day I had yesterday it brought such joy to my soul to watch Lucy simply enjoying herself today.  She was giggling and truly having fun.



I guess God never lets me wallow in my own despair for too long.  Today was a better day for sure.  All of my children did things that made me very proud today.  Lucy walked all over the museum with her walker without me having to hold her, Jack went to the potty several times today and Ella created this super cute painting.  SPOILER ALERT----this is for her teacher, Ms. Emily.  I am SOOO jealous because I really, really want it for my house!  Isn't it so stinking cute?




post signature